What is a Barndominium?
Barndominium basically refers to a building that is the combination of a barn and a condominium. The difference between old barndominiums and the recent ones is the stylish design and superb engineering. Metal Barndominiums are built to last and be customizable. They are also affordable and energy-efficient. If you’re looking for a structure that will be able to serve a dual purpose, probably a workshop and a living quarters, then the barndominium is your best bet.
Benefits of Barndominiums
Barndominiums are energy-efficient and affordable. They are ideal for any budget. If you’re wondering what you stand to gain from buying or installing a metal barndominium, you first have to consider the various problems that are peculiar to wooden barndominiums.
Here are some other benefits of Metal Barndominiums:
- Customizable : You can easily turn a barndominium into your dream home or property. They are easily fabricated and manipulated. Professionals can easily add whatever size, windows, doors, or materials you desire.
- Extremely Versatile : Here is the first thing you notice in a barndominium. Barndominium spaces or sections can be easily converted or repurposed into anything you want. You can quickly turn the building into anything from workshops and gyms to storage units or event space.
- Cost-Effective : Barndominiums are more affordable and easy to install despite their unique qualities and attributes. You should also know that traditional homes are more expensive to build than barndominiums, making them extremely popular.
- Durability : One thing that differentiates metal barndominiums from traditional homes is their durability. The experts at Boss Buildings design these structures to withstand the worst type of weather conditions. They are also resistant to rot, cracks, and pest infestation.
- Easy to Install : Another peculiar advantage of metal Barndominiums is that they are easy to assemble and install. The steel components have been pre-engineered and fabricated for easy installation. It makes for faster building delivery and installation.
Key Differences Between Barndominium Houses and Traditional Homes
There’s a reason for the popular demand for metal Barndominiums in the industry. People now prefer the style and reliability of barndominiums over the relative familiarity of traditional homes.
What are those things that make metal barndominiums more popular and desirable than conventional homes?
- Energy Efficiency : Barndominium can be easily insulated with spray foam to prevent the escape of heat. It will keep your energy bills low.
- Unique Aesthetic : There’s this unique charm that is peculiar with barndominiums, unlike what is obtainable in traditional homes. This charm is not a result of rot or battering and cannot lead to structural defects. Instead, it is a result of design and engineering. The unique aesthetic quality of barndominiums is a purely customized effect.
- Flexible Space : Designing the interior of barndominium homes is fun and exciting. The space can be created and customized to your needs. You can place a wall anywhere to demarcate the barn, shop, or store from the living space. You can also add several modern appliances to make the space more comfortable.
- Exterior Options : You have no limited options when it comes to designing the outside look of your barndominium. You can go for a chic and charming traditional look or tap into a more modern and comfortable style.
Popular Barndominium Sizes
No matter what you want to use your building for, no matter the size of your barndominium, the building specialists at Boss Buildings stand ready to deliver your dream project. The size of your building is highly customizable and could make or mar the structure. Nobody likes a building that doesn’t have enough space for the purpose it should serve.
For reference, here are some of the popular sizes for barndominiums:
- 30×40 Barndominium: this size offers about 1,200 square feet in interior space. If you’re looking for barndominium houses with enough room for a two-bedroom apartment, then this is perfect for your needs.
- 40×60 Barndominium: this size of barndominiums has just a slight increase from the previous one. This building can be easily customized and has enough space for a three-bedroom apartment. It also has about 2,400 square feet — enough to make you comfortable.
- 40×75 Barndominium: a barndominium of this size is a huge building. If you’re looking for a building size to accommodate versatility and functionality, then here’s the one for you. This building can also be easily customized and designed to your taste and needs.
- 60×60 Barndominium: here’s another massive building. That is a popular residential size for barndominiums. It has enough space for several bedrooms and multipurpose use. You can also choose to design a garage in the building.
- 60×70 Barndominium: the possibilities for this building are endless. There’s enough space to entertain your creativity. This building has about 4,200 highly customizable interior spaces. It is big enough for about four bedrooms and a double garage building.
For help in choosing the appropriate size for your barndominium, call Boss Buildings today at (336) 673-3065.
Customization Options for Barndominiums
Barndominiums are easy to design and customize. The building specialists at Boss Buildings stand ready to advise and assist you in your bid to customize your barndominium. There are many options for you to explore in your mission to design your building.
The size is the first option you might want to consider. The size of your building can make or mar the building. So make sure you have a pretty good estimate of the amount of space you need. And remember, too much space is better than too little space.
Another customization option is the color; Boss Buildings offers customers flexibility in this section. You can choose several colors or shades to paint your building.
Also, you can decide on which steel frame and roof panel gauge to use. There’s the 12 and 14 gauge for the steel framing — the 14 gauge is the industry standard, while the 12 gauge is the sturdier option. As for the roof paneling, which contributes to structural integrity, you have the option of choosing either the industry-standard 29 gauge paneling or the sturdier and durable 26 paneling.
Other customization options available include anchors, doors and windows, insulation, certifications, and so on. It would help if you also understood that these customization options could lead to a drastic rise in your building’s total cost.
Steel buildings at Boss Buildings can be customized to fit your barn, shop, shed, carport, workshop, RV, or any other business needs. Our custom metal buildings are manufactured in the US using high-quality steel. We are a one-stop shop for quality metal buildings at affordable prices. Our price match guarantee means you get the best prices on steel buildings every time you call. Contact our building specialists to order your metal building with free delivery and installation.
Site Preparation for Barndominiums
Site preparation is a crucial aspect of installing your metal barndominium. It is a critical activity that you must do before the delivery and installation of your building. If you do not prepare your site, it will slow down the installation schedule and cost you more money.
Here are some tips for site preparation:
- Clear the site of all trees, stumps, and rocks. The area must be smooth and easy to navigate.
- Remove the topsoil by using an excavator.
- Prepare a solid foundation bed. For advice on what sort of foundation is suitable for barndominiums, call a building specialist at (336) 673-3065.
- Use a grader to smoothen the site.
How Much Does a Barndominium Cost?
The total cost of a barndominium building is difficult to determine because of the several factors that can affect the price. However, a standard barndominium building’s price starts from a valuation as low as $40 per square mile. This valuation can go as high as $220,000 for a 2,000 square foot barndominium site.
Factors that could increase the final barndominium cost include customization options, location, size, installation fees, and so on.
For a better valuation of what your building will cost, call Boss Buildings today at (336) 673-3065.
Barndominium Kits — Cheaper and More Efficient
Boss Buildings also has affordable and efficient barndominium kits for the DIY worker. The barndominium kits contain everything you’ll need to assemble and install your structure. All steel components are precut and pre-measured for easy installation.
Installing your metal building yourself is a valuable experience that will continue to serve you. However, you might need some tools and machinery on-site to do the heavy lifting. Another advantage of using barndominium kits from Boss Buildings is that you get to install your building at your own pace and schedule.
Building Permits for Barndominiums
The first thing to do before installing your metal barndominium is to check if your area has any special building permit or code to follow. Getting a building permit is essential. If you don’t have a building permit for your building, that might lead to demolition, or you may have to pay a hefty fine.
To avoid the penalties, you must check with the appropriate local authorities to determine if you need a building permit for your building. You should also provide or get all necessary documents that will ensure the smooth installation of your barndominium.