They say the two best days of boat ownership are the first and last. And for many North Carolina natives, this adage rings true! Owning a boat is a significant investment that requires tons of upkeep and maintenance to remain sea-worthy. And if you’re not paying excessive dock fees to keep your watercraft safe, it will be up to you to protect it from violent weather, temperature swings, and harmful UV rays that can wear out components, crack seals, and damage fiberglass.
Sure, you can purchase a cloth or vinyl boat cover to protect your craft, but it’ll only last for so long! These covers are susceptible to moisture damage and pests. So if you’re looking for an all-in-one permanent solution to keep your boat ready for the summer fun, a metal building is your prime solution.
But make no mistake, these incredible structures aren’t just for housing your marine vehicles! They’re designed to accommodate and protect cars and trucks, RVs, heavy equipment, farm supplies, and anything you need to store! In fact, you can bet that if it needs to be kept safe from the elements, a metal building is up to the challenge!
Ways to Ensure You Get the Best Out of Your NC Metal Buildings
Purchasing a metal garage, barn, or RV cover is a major investment! And with any investment, you expect to get what you pay for. However, that may not always be the case with metal structures. There are many steel building dealers out there. And not all of them offer the best products or services. So that’s why it’s so critical to perform the necessary research and find a dealer with a reputation for providing premium products and customer service.
To help you find a metal building company that’s right for you and your needs, we’ve put together a small checklist of essential things to track.
How will you use your structure?
The first step is to have a clear grasp of how you intend to use your building. Will it house vehicles? Or are you building a workshop or home office?
Understand the type of building you need
There are many building types out there, each with different looks and capabilities. In fact, there are so many that it can become confusing for a first-time buyer. Some of these structure types include:
- Commercial Metal Buildings – Did you know that nearly 80% of all new commercial construction projects are steel buildings? This versatile material works just as well in commercial settings as in residences! So, if you’re looking for a structure to house your new automotive repair shop, retail store, or restaurant, a metal building is what you need!
- Metal Garages – If you have vehicles, you need to maintain them, and the cold winter months can be a real drag. But by having an enclosed space protected from the elements, you can keep your family cars lubed and road-ready year-round!
- Carports – Sometimes all you need is a nice place to keep your family car out of the sun. Carports provide just that! These structures are fantastic for protecting vehicles and lawn equipment and covering picnic areas, patios, and much more!
- RV Covers – RV covers are a type of carport specifically designed to accommodate larger vehicles like RVs, campers, motorhomes, and buses. They’re taller and wider to provide the room necessary to keep these vehicles protected.
- Metal Barns – Farmers, ranchers, and horse enthusiasts regularly use metal barns for their agricultural projects. These flexible buildings are great for storing food supplies, equipment, and even animals!\
- Utility Metal Buildings – During the hot North Carolina summers, you’ll need a place to store your lawn equipment. Mowers, weed eaters, and clippers are all expensive tools that need to be adequately protected. By investing in a metal utility building, you can keep these important items safe and sound.
- Metal Storage Buildings – Lacking ample storage space is an issue that affects many North Carolina residents. Whether it’s storing vehicles, boats, gardening equipment, extra clothing, or even seasonal decorations, people need a place for their stuff! It doesn’t matter whether they’re used for residential or commercial purposes; you’d be hard-pressed to find a more cost-effective storage option than a metal building.
- Large Metal Buildings – If the stuff you intend to store is oversized, having a structure that’s capable of accommodating can seem hard to find. Until now, at least! Some structures, like those built using clear-span engineering, can be built at enormous sizes with minimal need for internal support columns. This clever engineering feat makes them perfect for larger scale buildings like warehouses, manufacturing facilities, and storage for large vehicles and equipment.
- Custom Metal Buildings – Technically, any metal structure that’s designed to your specifications qualifies as a custom metal building. That’s what makes them so diverse! They can be anything and everything from small equipment shed to a commercial retail space! The only limits are your budget and your imagination!
- Steel Workshops – For artists, woodworkers, sculptors, and machinists, having a separate, customizable, fire-resistant structure is a must. And there’s no building type that’s more suited for that task than a premium metal structure. These buildings offer the room and customization required to expand your skills.
Understand the size you need
A crucial part of choosing the correct building for you is determining what size you need. For example, are you storing multiple cars? Or are you keeping equipment? You’ll need to carefully decide how much internal square footage you require to ensure you’ll have the required room.
The customization options are a big aspect of metal buildings that sets them apart from other construction methods. This vast array of choices allows you to design a structure to fit your specific needs.
Will your build site be in a location that’s easy to reach? If it’s on vacant land, have you constructed a road to access your structure? Before you break ground on your new building, you’ll need to ensure that you have easy access, not blocked by debris or rough terrain.
Will trees cover your building, or will it be exposed to the sun? This question will make a significant difference in the average internal temperature of your structure. Buildings exposed to direct sunlight will typically have a higher interior temperature.
There are many building manufacturers out there. But not all of them use quality steel. Purchasing a structure built with inferior steel can result in rust damage and premature deterioration. However, if your building is made from galvanized steel and comes from a trusted provider, it will last for years with very minimal need for maintenance.
North Carolina Metal Building Guidelines
Like most regions of the US, many North Carolina localities have specific guidelines on the permits you’ll require. In most cases, the closer your building is to an installation site, the more permits you’ll require. In many cases, you’ll need to have a site plan, engineer’s designs, floor plans, and more to receive your permit.
In many cases, the size of a structure plays a significant part in the types of zoning permits required. Therefore, you’ll need to carefully check with your local building inspectors to learn the guidelines you’ll need to follow.
Failure to secure the proper permits on a structure can result in significant fines, penalties, and even the removal of the building entirely. Additionally, most localities will require a building to be certified and properly permitted before being included on any property appraisals. By performing your due diligence, you can ensure a smooth process if you ever decide to sell your home and building.
Boss Buildings and North Carolina Metal Buildings
If you live in the Tarheel State, you can bet that Boss Buildings has you covered with a wide selection of metal buildings. We’ve got the skills and experience to deliver a structure that will stand strong for decades to come, from garages to barns, agricultural buildings, industrial warehouses, and everything in between.
Our buildings are highly customizable and can be altered and reinforced for any purpose or application. Easily change the panel type, color, roofing options, window placement, and more!
Your One-Stop-Shop for All Things Metal Buildings
Boss Buildings is proud to offer a wide array of steel structures to suit any job or application! Whether you’re searching for a carport or a full-sized metal garage to house your vehicles and equipment, you’ve come to the right place! Our structures are strong, highly adaptable, and among the most cost-effective construction methods in the business.
Not only do we deliver long-lasting premium structures that are ready to take on any job, but we also offer some of the best metal building prices and financing options in the business. We believe that anyone can afford a metal building of their own, regardless of their budget!
So, if you’ve been considering a metal structure for all your residential, commercial, or industrial needs, we’ve got you covered. Give us a call today at (336) 673-3065 and let our team of knowledgeable building specialists help you design, customize, and realize a building that works for you!